David Irvine is sought after internationally as a speaker, author, and mentor. His work has contributed to the building of accountable, vital and engaged organizations across North America. David Irvine is the President of Irvine & Associates Inc., an international speaking and consulting firm dedicated to building authentic, accountable organizational cultures that unleash greatness.
David has advanced degrees in human development, science and social work. With more than thirty years of experience as an entrepreneur, workshop facilitator, psychotherapist, professional speaker and advisor to executives, David has developed a unique, personal and practical approach to transforming leaders. Every year, thousands of people attend David’s inspiring and thought-provoking programs on authentic leading and living, culture alignment, and accountability.
As one of Canada’s most respected voices on leadership and organizational culture, David has authored five best-selling books, and has taught courses at three universities and the Banff School of Management.
David consults with and presents to thousands of people each year across North America in a wide range of venues — from huge conventions to small retreats. He has worked with CEOs and senior executives, as well as all levels of management, front-line service providers, salespeople, educators, and health care professionals. His approach is down-to-earth, simple and powerful. He not only moves you, but gets you moving. The results for his audiences are organizations and lives that are more connected, more accountable and more real.
He connects and interacts; he listens before he talks. David clarifies complex issues and offers pragmatic solutions. He brings an authentic experience that will renew and rekindle the vitality of your organization, your work, and yourself.
On a personal note, David is a formerly nationally ranked distance runner and trained with the US Olympic team, but today exercises more slowly. He is a father three and husband of one. David lives with his wife and family in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains near Calgary, Alberta.
- Building A High Performance Culture: The Power of Alignment
If you are committed to attract and retain the best talent, provide the best possible service to customers, get a grip on results that matter, remain profitable, and reach your fullest potential as an organization, then culture will be your most critical competitive advantage. This is because organizational culture trumps everything else in business.
- Discover the power of alignment and why building a high performance culture is the key to success.
- Execute a practical, meaningful process for getting your organization’s value statements off the wall and into people’s hearts and actions.
- Leave with a practical method for building a cohesive, engaged, high performance organization – that engenders trust, loyalty, safety, and ownership.
- Authentic Leadership: It’s About PRESENCE, Not Position
Great leadership cannot be reduced to technique, position or power. Great leadership comes from the strength of one’s authentic presence – the identity and integrity of the leader.
While you might get promoted to be a boss, you don’t get promoted to be a leader. Leadership isn’t something that you get from your title. Leadership – your capacity to inspire and influence others – is something you earn by the decisions you make and the actions you take. Leadership is about building trust, inspiring the people around you with a compelling vision, engaging yourself and others, and achieving results through those you serve. Leadership is about accomplishing this with presence, not position.
Step back and gain a new perspective on leadership from one of Canada’s most respected voices on leadership and organizational culture. Based on David Irvine’s best-selling book, The Authentic Leader, you will be inspired by a new view of who you are as a leader and a fresh vision of leadership in today’s changing, demanding world.
- Learn the difference between a transactional boss and a transformational leader, and the true source of leadership power: your authentic, accountable presence.
- Discover how a strong leadership presence can inspire trust, engender loyalty, engage people, dispel entitlement, and get a grip on results.
- Be inspired to be a leader, with or without a title.
- Accountability: Getting A Grip On Sustainable Results
Get to the deep meaning and application of accountability – so it isn’t just a hammer to blame or punish people, or just another organizational buzzword.
- Leave this session with a renewed and positive perspective on accountability, tools to build an ownership attitude in your organization, and a practical process for holding people accountable.
- Build a proven and practical approach to accountability that will build trust, respect, and integrity while banishing blame and fear, transforming entitlement into ownership.
- Close the gap between intention and success and get a grip on sustainable results.
- Leave with a simple and practical process that will inspire your high performers, deal effectively and respectfully with your “non-performers,” and renew your organization.
- Leave with a new outlook on the responsibility and opportunity of every employee to build an engaged, energized, and renewed culture.
- Accountability in the Age of Entitlement: The Power Of Agreement
With everyone talking about the need for more accountability in the work place, why is it that accountability is so likely to turn people off? Why is it that unearned entitlement remains so prevalent, both in the workplace and in society? You have to get to the deep meaning and application of accountability. If you don’t, it becomes a hammer to blame and punish people, or at best, just another organizational buzzword.
David Irvine’s proven and practical philosophy and approach to accountability helps leaders build trust, respect, and integrity. It reveals how to banish blame and fear, transform entitlement into ownership, close the gap between intention and success, and get a grip on results.
Leave this session with a renewed and positive perspective on accountability. Based on David’s inspiring best-selling book, Bridges of Trust, this session will illustrate how accountability is not a “program” to be “installed” throughout an organization or a “flavour of the month” management fad. Accountability is an inspiring leadership philosophy that lies at the foundation of both labour and life.
Accountability promises five vital results: 1) Clarity – about your role, direction, and promises; 2) Communication – at a new depth, with the right focus; 3) Alignment – of values, purpose, passion, and agreements; 4) Energy – to build sustained engagement and commitment; and 5) Trust – the one thing that changes everything.Inspire people around you by being accountable.
- Inspire people around you by being accountable.
- Inspire your employees to think like owners and foster an accountable attitude at every level of your organization.
- Transform blame, entitlement, and fear into courage, personal responsibility, and commitment – through the power of agreement.
- Embracing Change: The Power Of Possibility
“In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.” – Eric Hoffer, philosopher
To survive – and thrive – you have to adapt and embrace change. When you have made a decision to be a leader, you become an agent of change. But where is your road map? Where are your tools? There are eight stages of change. The first is chaos; the eighth is possibility. Once you lead yourself and others to embrace possibility, transforming chaos into confidence, resistance into wisdom, and fear into possibility, you have done your job. Once you’ve mastered the art of embracing change, you will not only build a strong, vital organization, you will build a strong, vital life.
- Building Bridges of Trust: The Power of Interpersonal Excellence
Building and restoring trust is mission-critical in organizations today. At the core of effective and productive organizations and teams lies an abundance of mutual trust and respect based upon authentic and accountable connections. Regardless of what you do in your organization and your life, to be successful you must be able to connect with people in a way that builds trust.
With a background in family therapy, David Irvine offers an in-depth approach to interpersonal relationships that you won’t find in mainstream leadership training programs. Leave this engaging, and practical session with the interpersonal skills necessary to build bridges of trust with those who depend on you, and those upon whom you depend.